The diploma requirements for Heritage Covenant High School have always incorporated the course requirements established by the Tennessee Department of Education. Unfortunately, the TN DOE decided to demand a one-size-fits-all standard in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education and the "Common Core State Standards Initiative. This action flies in the face of the entire educational philosophy of HCS.
Below are the requirements prescribed by the Board of Directors of Heritage Covenant Schools.
TYPES OF DIPLOMAS
The standard academic Diploma will be awarded to students who:
- satisfactorily complete the specified twenty-two and a half units of study or satisfactorily complete an individualized educational program (IEP), and
- take the A.C.T. or S.A.T. college entrance exams.
The following 22.5 units of study shall be required for graduation:
English -- 4.0 units
Mathematics -- 3.0 units
(One credit must be Algebra I)
Science -- 3.0 units
Human Society & History -- 4.5 units
1 unit of American (U.S.) History
1 unit of World History
1 unit of World Geography
.5 unit of Economics
.5 unit of American Government
.5 unit of Southern History (see note below)
Personal Finance -- 0.5 unit
Lifetime Wellness -- 1.0 unit
(One semester each of Health and P. E.)
Worldview -- 0.5 unit
Electives -- 6.0 units
Also, a half-credit unit of Bible is required for every year the student is enrolled at HCHS. These are absorbed within the "Electives, but no more that a half credit is allowed per year towards the diploma requirements.
COLLEGE PREP DIPLOMA
The College Prep Diploma will be awarded to students who:
- satisfactorily complete the above requirements with courses specified below, including an additional unit of Math* (total 23.5 credits), and
- score at or in excess of the 40th percentile on the A.C.T. or S.A.T. college entrance exams.
- the 6 units of Electives are replaced by the following:
Foreign Language 2.0 units (Both of same language)
Fine Arts 1.0 unit
Electives 3.0 units
CLASSICAL STUDIES DIPLOMA
A Classical Studies Diploma will be awarded to students who
- satisfactorily complete the College Prep Diploma requirements,
- in addition, complete one unit of Logic, two units of Latin, and one unit of Rhetoric, and
- during their Senior year present a research paper under the guidance of the HCHS administration.
An Honors designation is given those students who earn either the College Prep or the Classical Studies Diploma and achieve a score at or in excess of the 80th percentile on the A.C.T. or S.A.T.
QUALIFYING COURSES”College Prep Diploma
Applied Communication may substitute for Jr. or Sr. English)
Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
and one of the following: Math IV, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus
two of: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
& additional one of the above or one of:
Physical Science, Ag Science, Geology,
Nutrition Sciences, Ecology.
two units of: Latin, French, Spanish, Japanese, Russian, or German
one of: Theatre Arts, Visual Arts, Music Theory, Music History,
General Music, Instrumental or Vocal Music, Art History, Dance.
NOTES: High school level courses taken before 9th grade will be credited toward a student's diploma requirements, but are listed as a Pass ("P) and do not figure into the high school GPA.
HCS course materials must be used to satisfy the Southern History requirement.